Saturday, July 12, 2003

Rock 101
In this month's The New Yorker there's an article about a recent academic conference on popular music. Now, I freely admit my total blindspot when it comes to music. Unlike with many other forms of media culture, I'm almost totally lacking in cultural capital (including pop-cultural capital) when it comes to music-- either just as a fan or as a scholar or anything in between. But, I'm always interested to see how cultural studies, cultural sociology, etc. get seen/interpreted in the wider world, so I found the article intriguing on that ground. There are perhaps a few dismissive comments that are a little too easy strewn about in the article, but overall it's not bad. (Though perhaps someone with greater investment in this particular area may disagree). The New Yorker: Rock 101

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home